Recovering deleted messages on WhatsApp is possible and can be quite simple. If you are afraid of missing an important conversation, rest assured that we will help. Also see how to avoid losing sent and received text, photos, videos and audios in the chat app again.
The steps below only work if you keep the option to store backups in Google Drive enabled. You must use the same phone number and Google account used when creating the backup.
1. Open the Google Play Store app. In the search bar of the application, type WhatsApp and confirm the search with the magnifying glass icon on the keyboard;
2. When WhatsApp appears in the results, tap on the name of the app;
3. On the screen that opens, go to Uninstall, confirm in Uninstall and wait;
4. When the uninstallation is complete, the button will appear Install. Tap on it to reinstall the app;
6. Then enter your phone number registered in the backup associated with the Google account used in the Google Play Store. proceed on Advance;
7. Enter the 6-digit code sent by SMS to the number provided;
- If the account is protected by XNUMX-Step Verification, you must enter the Pin you created when activating the feature. If it is not activated, just go to the next step.
8. Authorize the messenger to have access to your contacts and media in Continue and then in Allow;
9. The app will automatically search for the last backup made to Google Drive. When the chat history is found, choose to Restore;
- Recovery time may vary depending on the size of the backup.
10. Once the process is complete, go to Advance. Then enter the name you want to be displayed, profile picture and follow once more on Advance.
11. Wait for the app to launch. If you happen to have the XNUMX-step verification feature, enter your PIN.
Ready! Now you will be able to see your old messages.
The following step-by-step is only for users who have automatic iCloud backup enabled. The process only works for the phone number used associated with your Apple ID.
1. Tap on the WhatsApp app for a few seconds and, in the menu that opens, go to Remover app;
2. Confirm your choice at delete app and again in Delete;
3. Now, open the App Store app and go to Search, in the lower right corner of the screen;
4. In the search bar at the top of the screen, type WhatsApp and tap on the name of the app when it is listed;
5. Since you already had the app installed before, instead of the Get option, you'll see a cloud with a down arrow. Tap on it to download the application;
7. Enter your registered mobile number and proceed to OK;
- If you have the Two-Step Verification option enabled, you must also enter the PIN you created when you enabled the feature.
8. On the next screen, tap Restore chat history;
9. The process can take from seconds to a few minutes, depending on the volume of data. When finished, go to Advance;
10. Now edit your username and, if you like, your profile picture and confirm in OK.
Okay, now you'll be able to see the messages that were saved up to the date of the last backup made in iCloud.
How to enable backup
If, by any chance, you still don't have WhatsApp auto backup function enabled, it is recommended that you enable it. Thus, you avoid losing future conversations, being able to recover them just by reinstalling the messenger.
1. Open the app and tap on the three dots icon in the upper right corner of the screen. In the menu that opens, go to settings;
2. Then go to Chats → Chat Backup → Backup to Google Drive;
3. Choose how often you want the backup to be made: Daily, Weekly ou Monthly. And it's done!
1. Open WhatsApp and tap on the option settings, in the lower right corner of the app;
2. follow on Chats → Chat Backup → Auto Backup;
3. Choose how often you want the backup to be made: Daily, Weekly ou Monthly,it's ready.
How often should I backup?
It is worth remembering that the higher the frequency, the lower the chance of losing messages and files shared in the messenger. For example, if you choose the option Daily, every day at the same time, the content is saved.
That way, if something unexpected happens the next day, you'll be able to recover all the conversations you had until the last backup. If you choose Monthly and have a problem after 15 days, the content for those 2 weeks after the backup will be lost.
However, this is a process that consumes your phone's resources. Therefore, you need to consider your needs. For example, if you don't have constant access to a Wi-Fi network, it might be better to back it up manually when connected to quality wireless internet.
Also, if your phone is older, has capacity, or the system is out of date, the process will tend to be slower than usual. And so doing it daily can be a little irritating.
To avoid wasting their mobile data, Android users can only make backups when they are using a Wi-Fi network. Configuration can be done in Settings → Chats → Chat Backup → Backup to Google Drive → Backup via → Wi-Fi.
How to save WhatsApp messages elsewhere
You can manually save WhatsApp conversations to locations other than Google Drive or iCloud. The export conversations feature allows you to save the shared messages and files in a private or group conversation easily.
1. Open the conversation you want to save and tap on the 3 dots icon in the upper right corner of the screen;
2. In the menu that opens, go to More ;
3. Now, tap export conversation;
4. Choose whether to include media files (photos, videos and audios) or not. If you choose the former, the process will take longer;
5. Finally, choose where you want to save the conversation.
1. Open the conversation and tap on the top, where the name of the contact or the group is;
2. Go in export conversation;
3. Choose whether to attach media (photos, videos and audios) or not;
4. Tap on the app or location where you want to save the file.
- How to recover deleted Instagram direct messages
- How to Recover Deleted Contacts from Android Phone and iPhone