You can unlock your Android phone with your voice without having to download anything. The feature is native to the operating system and works through a combination of Smart Lock and Google Assistant tools.
By activating the functionality, the user can access the device's home screen without having to touch it. Just say “Ok Google” and you're done.
The voice unlock method is not available for devices running Android 8.0 (Oreo) or higher. In these cases, you can just activate the assistant from the lock screen and access some apps.
How to make Google Assistant recognize your voice
Both to unlock the device and to use the Google assistant with the screen locked, it is necessary to have the voice registered in the system. Learn how to do it below:
1. Press the button Home for a few seconds, until the Google Assistant app opens;
2. Tap the icon that resembles a compass, located in the lower right corner;
3. So go to your profile picture and then select settings;
4. Touch above to below Assistant;
5. Em Devices - Assistant, select your device;
6. If it is not on, activate the switch referring to the Google Assistant;
7. Now, tap voice model;
8. so go on Redefine voice model;
9. Scroll the screen that opens to the end and tap on the button I agree (I agree, in free translation);
10. Dam Ok, Google four times, so that the system can recognize and register your voice. Perform the process, preferably, in a quiet place, so there is no interference;
11. Finish the procedure in Conclude.
How to unlock android phone by voice
Now that you have your voice registered and recognized by Google Assistant, just follow the steps below to perform voice unlocking. Do not forget that it is not present on devices with Android 8 (Oreo) or higher.
1. Dam Ok, Google or press the button Home for a few seconds and the app will appear on the screen;
2. Tap on an icon that refers to a compass, located in the lower right corner of the screen;
3. In the section Explore, go to your profile picture to access the program settings. In the menu that opens, go to settings;
4. Now select the tab Assistant;
5. Scroll down and select your device in the section Devices - Assistant;
6. Activate the switch for the option Unlock with Voice Match;
7. Now just say Ok, Google to access the system home screen.
How to access Google Assistant with a locked screen
When accessing the help app with the screen locked, the user can search the internet and have access to some apps. In this case, the functionality is only available on smartphones and tablets with Android 8 (Oreo) or higher.
1. Dam Ok, Google or press the button Home for a few seconds until the helper app appears on the screen;
2. Go to the icon that refers to a compass, located in the lower right corner of the screen;
3. Em Explore, tap your profile picture;
4. In the menu that opens, go to settings;
5. go to the tab Assistant;
6. Select your device in the section Devices - Assistant;
7. Enable the option Access with Voice Match to open the help app even when the screen is locked;
8. If you want to send messages and emails, check the calendar, contacts and other features with the protected device, also activate the switch referring to the option Personal results on lock screen.
Is voice unlock safe?
Google points out that the voice unlock method is not the safest there is. People with a similar voice or a recording of their own voice can release the phone.
However, the feature can be useful for those who need to access messages while driving or have a child in their arms and don't always have their hands free.
Smart Lock: other unlocking modes
The Smart Lock security tool was released by Google in 2022 along with Android 5.0 (Lollipop). The functionality allows unlocking the device in different ways, in addition to the traditional password, pattern and PIN.
One of them is Voice Match, which, at first, guaranteed access to the system only with the user's voice. Currently, the option grants permission to use the Google Assistant with the device locked.
Through the help app, the person gets information from applications, such as email, calendar, maps, research, among others.
Another alternative is Security Face, which allows you to unlock your cell phone through facial recognition. Once again, the company points out that the method is not as secure as a pattern, PIN or password. Which means that very similar people, like a twin brother, for example, could be able to visualize your information.
With Android Smart Lock you can also add a reliable location where your smartphone will always be unlocked, like your home or work.
In addition, the tool offers the option to always keep the device unlocked while on the move. The lock only occurs when the sensors notice that the device has been put away.