When formatting a Samsung phone, the phone reverts to factory settings. The process deletes all data added by the user on the device. The procedure can be performed even with the device locked, that is, even if you forget the password or access pattern. It's the so-called hard reset, done through the physical buttons.
Whoever remembers the password can reset the smartphone through the Android system settings. The important thing is, whenever possible, to back up your phone so you don't lose anything when formatting.
Check below how to format cell phones from the manufacturer of the Galaxy lines in two ways. Also, see how to backup your data on the devices of the South Korean brand.
How to format Samsung phone (hard reset)
Hard reset, also known as hard reset, allows you to format your Samsung phone even when it is turned off. This means that it is the ideal option for those who have forgotten their password or access pattern.
It is worth remembering that the procedure erases not only the settings, but also all user data. In order not to be taken by surprise, the ideal thing is to have your smartphone backup always up to date.
The manufacturer does not recommend that Android 5.1 or higher users who do not know the Gmail email and password registered on the device perform the procedure. In such cases, unlocking needs to be done at a Samsung restore center.
Finally, it is necessary that the cell phone is at least 60% charged. If you agree with all the information above, check out the step-by-step guide below.
1. With the device off, press the volume up e On off for a few seconds;
2. The screen will turn on once and then turn off. When turning on for the second time, release the power button. On off. the button volume up must remain pressed until the image of the robot symbol of the Android system appears;
3. A list of options will now appear. In all of the following instructions, use the volume buttons to browse the items and the On off to select them. Following these instructions, go to Wipe data/ factory reset and select the option;
4. Then go to Yes delete all user data and select the item. Then all the information will be erased;
5. Now it's time to restart the system. For that, go to Reboot system now and select the option.
Okay, now just wait for the device to turn on.
How to format Samsung phone with Home button (hard reset)
If your device is older and has the Home button (the central one below the screen), the process is a little different. Check out:
1. With the device off, press the volume up, On off e Home for a few seconds;
2. The screen will turn on once and then turn off. When turning on for the second time, release the power button. On off. the buttons of volume up e Home must remain pressed until the image of the robot symbol of the Android system appears;
3. A list of options will now appear. In all of the following instructions, use the volume to browse the items and the On off to select them. Following these instructions, go to Wipe data/ factory reset and select the option;
4. Then go to Yes delete all user data and select the item. All information will be erased;
5. Now it's time to restart the system. Go to Reboot system now and select.
How to format samsung phone to factory defaults by system
The option to format the cell phone to factory defaults is valid for users who remember the password or access pattern.
Formatting a Samsung cell phone to factory defaults can be done in the same way as other smartphones with the Android system.
1. open the app settings;
2. now go to General management ou System;
3. Then tap Restore;
4. Go in Restore factory default;
5. then tap the button Reset;
6. Confirm your decision at Delete all.
According to the brand itself, the restore paths vary depending on the operating system versions. The above instructions are valid for Samsung phones with Android 8.0, 9.0 and Android Go.
If you use a previous edition, you must do the following:
- Android 7.0: Config. → General Management → Reset → Restore Factory Defaults.
- Android 5.1 or 6.0: Applications → Config → Backup & Reset → Factory Reset → Reset Device → Erase All.
- Android 5.0 or lower: Applications > Config > Backup & Reset > Factory Reset > Reset Device > Erase All.
How to know what version of Android
You can find out your Android version easily through your phone's settings. Go in settings, then in About Phone ou About device.
Then go to Info software and select Android version.
How to backup on samsung phone
As we said earlier, the ideal is to back up the phone before formatting. In this way, your photos and files are saved even when the device is reset.
In addition to the Google Drive process, common to Android devices, the company offers two other alternatives. Data storage can also be done through Find My Mobile and Samsung Cloud services.
How to Backup on Samsung Phone with Google Drive
By performing the procedure below, the data is stored in Google's cloud storage service. Information such as contacts, device settings, SMS messages, apps and Wi-Fi networks are saved with passwords.
To backup to Google Drive, follow the path: App Settings → System → Backup → Backup to Google Drive.
How to Backup on Samsung Phone with Find My Mobile
Find my Mobile is a website that allows you not only to find your phone but also to back up your phone through your computer. The content is saved on Samsung Cloud, the brand's cloud hosting service.
To perform the procedure, it is necessary to have the smartphone connected to the internet, preferably to Wi-Fi. The Samsung account must also be registered on the device.
Then, go to the Find My Mobile website and, if you are not already logged in, click Login. Log in with your Samsung account.
Then just follow the path: Backup → select the apps and data you want to save → Backup → Agree → Backup.
How to Backup on Samsung Mobile Using Samsung Cloud
Samsung Cloud is the brand's cloud storage service. It is possible to save the device data directly from the cell phone.
It is only necessary that the device is connected to the internet, preferably to Wi-Fi, to avoid spending mobile data. It is also necessary to connect the mobile to your Samsung account.
To carry out the procedure, follow the path: config. → Accounts and Backup ou Cloud and Accounts → Samsung Cloud → Backup this phone → Backup. Then select the data and contents you want to save and tap again back up.
- Best cell phones to buy: from cheap to top of the line
- Cell phones with the best cameras to take amazing photos
- Forgot your cell phone password? Learn to unlock the screen
- How to format a cell phone and restore factory settings
- See how to check the IMEI and know if a cell phone is pirated
- What to do if memory card does not format