Making a banner in PowerPoint is a good solution for those who have no knowledge of image editing. Or else you just need something simpler, with or without photos. The resource can be used both for those who want to create academic and scientific posters and to promote a product or service.
The process is very similar in any edition of Microsoft's presentation software. The following walkthrough, however, was done with PowerPoint 2022.
Step 1: Resize the banner
The process below allows you to configure the file size and orientation. Thus, you can insert the content already with the dimensions and format necessary for printing.
1. Open PowerPoint and click Presentation in White;
2. Go to the tab Design, Click Slide Size and then in Custom slide size;
3. In the window that opens, select the slide orientation. If you choose Picture, it will be vertical, and Landscape, will be horizontal. Also choose the orientation that will be given to notes, handouts and topics;
4. Now, choose your banner size. In Slides sized for, there are several predefined dimension options. But if you prefer or need to use a specific size, just enter the desired height and width, in centimeters. complete in OK;
- A4 paper: the size of a sheet of plain craft paper;
- A3 paper: twice the size of an A4 sheet of paper;
- scientific banners: By default, they are 90 cm wide by 120 cm high.
5. If you don't use a predefined size, a window about resizing the slide will appear. opt for Maximize.
2nd step: Insert the graphic elements
With the banner resized, now it's time to get down to business and insert the poster elements.
Background color or images
To include a background image, go to the tab Design → Format Background. Note that the program provides different options. Are they:
- solid fill: Allows you to select a unique color for the banner background.
- gradient fill: Provides options for creating a gradient background. There are 30 preset options and 5 gradient types (linear, radial, rectangular, path and title shadow). It is also possible to define color, position and marks.
- Fill with image or texture: in this case, the user can choose to use textures provided by the program as a background, from a file present on the PC or paste the copied image to the Clipboard. If you want to search for images from the web, go to the Online button.
- pattern fill: Allows you to select one of several templates available in PowerPoint. You can customize the color of the designs and the background color of the pattern.
After choosing the image or background color you want, go to Apply to All, if the idea is to make more than one banner using the same background. Otherwise, just close the window for the resource.
By default, every PowerPoint slide starts with two text boxes: one for the title and one for the subtitle. However, you can insert or delete as many text boxes as you like. The boxes allow you to position the text wherever you want on the page. They also facilitate the use of different fonts, sizes and colors in the same file.
- Editing text box dimensions: click on them and see that, on the side lines, squares will appear. Click on these squares to change the height or width.
- Dragging text boxes: place the mouse pointer over the line (not over the squares). When it changes shape, click and drag the box where you want it.
- Inserting insert new text boxes: go to the tab Insert and Text box. Click and drag your mouse over the slide to draw your new text box.
Note that as soon as a new box is inserted, the tab appears Format, at the top of the screen on the right. Through it, it is possible to specifically edit each box. The user can change the background, text or outside line color (if they want to display it).
For those who don't have a lot of experience with PowerPoint, you can also check out suggestions for ready-made background and font combinations in the option Quick Styles.
Logos, photos and images
Do you need to include your company logo, a product promotion photo or an illustration to enrich your work? Know that it is quite simple.
Again, go to the tab Insert, Click Pictures and choose the one you need, available on your computer. You can resize images by dragging the squares that appear on the side lines. Or click on it and drag it wherever you want.
How to install fonts on Windows, macOS and Google Docs
The feature also offers the tab Format, which has options for basic image enhancements, insertion of borders and effects. User can also crop the image and remove the background.
Step 3: Print the banner in PowerPoint
Depending on the size of the banner, you may not be able to print it at home. Most home printers only print in A4 (maximum A3).
If you need to print in another location, such as a print shop or stationery store, it is recommended to save the file as a PDF. The format allows you to preserve all edits made.
Formatting, color and quality distortions can occur if the file is not saved in the format. This occurs if the content is opened in another presentation program or in a different edition of the software.
Print directly from PowerPoint
If your banner is a size that can be printed on your home printer, just follow the path: File → Print → Print.
Save to PDF for printing away from home
In that case, follow the path File → Save As → select the computer folder where you want to save. In the box that opens, click on the list that appears under Market and choose PDF. Then just name the file and finish in Save.
I want to make mobile banner. I can?
Don't have a computer with PowerPoint or do you prefer the convenience of making the banner from anywhere using your cell phone? Be aware that there are many apps that offer predefined but fully customizable layout.
The apps allow you to create not only posters, but also flyers, invitations, cards, among other visual resources.
The well-known image editor brings together different types of ready-made templates, among them, for banners and posters. In Posters, the user can filter the templates by themes, such as events, advertising, black and white, search, among other categories.
The app allows you to edit each item in the template, be it text, image or background. It is even possible to insert new images, more text boxes, move elements and much more. The result is in the way of the creator and with a professional air.
- canva (free, with in-app purchases): Android | iOS | Web
Desygner also offers more than a thousand built-in templates that can be changed according to the user's needs. The program also guarantees editing of all image elements, such as background color, images and text.
- Desygner (free, with in-app purchases): Android | iOS | Web
Adobe Spark Post
Best programs to make slides on PC
Adobe Spark Post is an application from the same developer as Photoshop. The program also offers customizable ready-made layouts. The app has easy-to-use tools and, therefore, does not require any prior editing knowledge.
With just one tap, change color, font, resize or add filters. It is also possible to insert your company logo or images that you consider important for your banner.
- Adobe Spartk Post (free, with in-app purchases): Android | iOS
The app brings together a dozen free options for posters and banners. Ideal for those who have no knowledge of image editing.
The service also lets you customize layouts, merging your own ideas with ready-made ones. For this, you can add image and text, include and exclude elements, change font and much more.
- Posters (free, with in-app purchases): Android
- Find out how to make a folder in Word in a few minutes
- How to make animated invitation on PC to send on WhatsApp
- Best free and online text editors