Those who like to read can download books for free on their cell phones with applications that make thousands of works available legally. Most apps allow you to download ebooks for offline reading, that is, even when you don't have internet.
The following list brings together options for all tastes, from classics of literature to productions by new writers. The apps should also please those who want to practice English, as well as fans of fanfics, novels, suspense and various other literary styles. Check out!
1. Google Play Books
In the Android app store, Google Play, the user has access to thousands of books and audiobooks to read on their cell phones. What not everyone knows is that the service offers hundreds of titles for free.
The reading, however, must be done on Google Play Books. The app has features such as different backgrounds, inclusion of notes and bookmarks, font customization, among others.
- How to download free books: go in Books, in the bottom bar of Google Play. At the top of the app, where you see E-books and Audiobooks, drag the options from right to left, until you find the item top free books. So just tap on free e-book and see the ones you like.
Google Play Books (free): Android | iOS
One of the most famous e-book apps in the world, Kindle seeks to bring the Amazon e-reader experience to the mobile screen. Most ebooks are paid, but there are thousands of titles available for free. They are self-help, novel, children's works, comics, manga, academics and many other genres.
The program allows you to change the font size and type of the text, as well as change the color and brightness of the book's background. The user can also make content highlights and annotations, as well as searches without leaving the application.
- How to download free books: Go in Shop and under Kindle eBooks, tap Kindle promotions. On the next screen, choose free ebooks.
Kindle (free): Android | iOS
Ideal for those who like to read unpublished content, Whattpad brings together more than 10 million free books and stories. There are ebooks of different genres, such as Non-Fiction, Adventure, Humor, Women's Literature, Fanfic, etc.
The app allows you to download books to read offline, select font size and type, as well as page background color. It is also possible to make comments that will be seen by the author and other readers. It is worth noting that the success A Barraca do Beijo, which became a movie in 2022, by Netflix, was released on the platform.
- How to download free books: tap on the book you want, then tap Read. Next to the title is a cloud icon with a down arrow. Tap on it to download and read the content even without internet.
Wattpad (free, with ad-free Premium version option): Android | iOS
4. Rakuten Kobo
Rakuten Kobo is the Kobo ereader app for smartphones. Like its competitor Kindle, it offers titles to download and read for free. They are available from classics of our country's literature to self-help content, biographies, youth, among other genres.
The app allows you to select the type and size of the font and the color of the page's background. You can also highlight text excerpts, insert annotations and easily share quotes in other apps. And, of course, access downloaded titles even when you don't have internet access.
- How to download the books for free: Tap on the icon formed by three lines, in the upper right corner of the screen. then go to free ebooks and then in add to my books.
Rakuten Kobo (free): Android | iOS
5. Spirit Fanfics and Stories
As the name suggests, Spirit Fanfics and Stories brings together more than a million content published by the authors themselves on the platform. Both fanfic style and totally original texts. The user finds works ready and also in progress, so that their comments can even influence the author.
The stories have different themes, such as Romance, Teenager, Adventure, Fantasy, Comedy, among others. For ease of reading, it only offers the option to change the font size, hidden in the settings.
How to download free books: tap on the book you want to read and then go to the three dots icon in the upper right corner of the screen. In the menu that opens, go to Add to Library. Now, go to Library, in the bottom bar, and find the added ebook.
Now, tap on the three dots icon next to the title and choose Add to offline list. So you can read even when you don't have internet.
Spirit Fanfics and Stories (free, with ad-free premium plan option): Android | iOS
6. Moon+ Reader
Moon+ Reader is an ebook reader that offers hundreds of titles that are in the public domain for free. The works are made available by projects such as Project Gutemberg and Feedbooks. Most are in English, but there are options for short stories by Machado de Assis, Gil Vicente, Luís de Camões, among others.
The reader is intuitive and has features such as font, background color and margins customization. It also has easy access to night mode, as well as options to highlight and underline text and insert notes.
- How to download free books: Tap on the icon formed by three lines in the upper left corner of the screen. In the side menu, go to Library. Choose if you want Feedbooks ou Project Gutenberg, select the category and then tap the desired book. complete in Download.
Moon + Reader (free, but offers in-app purchases): Android
eBoox is a digital book reader, which brings together a list of sites that provide works for free, separated by languages. Although it allows accessing the pages without leaving the app, each of them works in a different way, without an integrated login option.
The app allows you to easily change the font and font size, margins, line spacing, background color and screen brightness. The user can also highlight text excerpts, insert notes and share passages through other apps.
- How to download free books: Tap on the three-line icon in the upper left corner of the screen. In the menu that opens, go to book catalog. Then, go to the website of your choice and follow its specific instructions for downloading.
eBoox (free, but offers in-app purchases): Android | iOS
8. Prestige eReader
The Prestígio eReader is another ebook reader that provides dozens of books by great names in world literature for free. Among them, Augusto dos Anjos, Castro Alves, Euclides de Cunha and many others.
The app allows you to customize the type and size of the font, as well as the color of the page's background. It is also possible to highlight excerpts, check translations without leaving the application and share content in other applications easily.
- How to download the free books: Access the option Store, in the top menu, and then Free ou Free. Then you can filter by the desired language. In the synopsis part, just tap on a down arrow icon to download.
eReader Prestige (free, but offers in-app purchases): Android
Amazing apps to read manga on iPhone and Android
From the same creators of MangaToon, NovelToon is a platform that provides thousands of books created by users. The contents can have the traditional or chatstory format, in which the dialogs look like messages exchanged in apps.
As the texts are the author's responsibility, even popular titles may have grammar and punctuation errors. It is also notable the use of a very informal language. In traditional text format, the application allows you to adjust screen brightness, background color, as well as font type and size.
- How to download free books: Tap on the book you want to download and then on a down arrow icon at the top right of the screen. Select the chapters you want and go to Download.
NovelToon (free, but offers in-app purchases): Android | iOS
10. Free Books Gutenberg
Free Books Gutenberg makes available in a single app the thousands of works cataloged by Project Gutenberg since 1971. All available books are already considered public domain. This means that the application basically brings together digital versions of great classics of literature.
The titles are in English, so it can be a good choice for those who want to study and practice the language. Despite not having many reading features, it offers a function that reads the text aloud.
- How to download the book for free: tap on the book you want and then on the button Get. To add to your Library, go to read now.
Free Books Gutenberg (free, but offers in-app purchases): Android
- Amazing apps to read books on your phone
- Apps to read the news and always stay well informed